Tuesday 25 November 2014

Which is the Better Bargain?



                 Recently while shopping in new Market in Calcutta, I came across two very nice frocks selling at a discount. I decided to buy one of them for my little girl Mammu. The shopkeeper offered me one of the frocks for Rs. 35 usually selling for 8/7 of that price and the other one for Rs. 30 usually selling for 7/6 of that price.
                  Of the two frocks which one do you think is a better bargain and by how much per cent? 

Answer:     8/7th of Rs. 35 equals Rs. 40, the regular selling price of the first frock and 7/6th of Rs. 30 equals Rs. 35, the regular selling price of the second frock. Now, if the first frock usually sells for Rs. 40 and is sold for Rs. 35 on the reduced price, then I save Rs. 5. This gives me a gain on the cost the percentage of 5/35 which equals 1/7 and that is a little more than 14.28.

              The second frock usually sells for Rs. 35, which on the reduced price costs me Rs. 30. Again I save rs.5 which equals 5/30 or 1/6 that amounts to, in percentage, a gain of little more than 16.66. The difference between the first frock and the second in terms of percentage gained is a little more than 2.38. Hence, the second frock is a better buy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...